Hunter Hayes stopped by the Today show on Aug. 14 to perform his new single, “Heartbreak.”
In a surprise turn, Hunter revealed that his new album, Wild Blue (Part I), will be released via digital platforms on Aug. 16, two months before the scheduled release date.
“So, we initially planned to perform on Today and announce our October album release,” says Hunter, “however because the album was finished and because the fans were asking for more new music now, we wanted them to have it as soon as it was ready . . . and have it all, not just five or six songs.”
In addition to providing lead vocals and co-penning every track on the 10-song offering, Hunter played a number of instruments on the album, including electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, B3, bass guitar, strings, banjo, mandolin, Dobro, drums and resonator guitar.
The album takes its moniker—and theme—from the first song Hunter penned for the project.
“As soon as we wrote ‘Wild Blue,’ I went into every conversation or co-write with that idea in mind and it led to some of the most honest realizations about myself and how I approach love and relationships,” says Hunter. “I’m so thankful for this journey and the path it’s set me on personally and professionally.”
Watch Hunter perform “Heartbreak” on Today.
Wild Blue Track Listing and Songwriters
- Madness (Hunter Hayes, Sam Ellis, Sara Haze)
- Wild Blue (Hunter Hayes, Troy Verges, Gordie Sampson)
- Heartbreak (Hunter Hayes, Thomas “Tawgs” Salter, Gordie Sampson, Simon Wilcox)
- One Good Reason (Hunter Hayes, Sam Ellis)
- Dear God (Hunter Hayes, Andy Grammer, Dave Spencer)
- Loving You (Hunter Hayes, Jordan Reynolds, Dave Barnes)
- My Song Too (Hunter Hayes, Jordan Reynolds, Dave Barnes)
- One Shot (Hunter Hayes)
- Night and Day (Hunter Hayes, Derrick Southerland, Sam Ellis)
- Still (Hunter Hayes, Troy Verges, Tommee Profitt)
photo by Curtis Hilbun, AFF-USA.com